If you or someone you know is disabled and cares for a child, worrying about the child’s future can be stressful. Children with parents who are eligible for Social Security benefits due to being disabled may also be eligible to receive benefits. Approximately 4.4 million children currently receive more than $2.5 billion each month because one or both of their parents are eligible for benefits.

Learn about Social Security benefits for children of disabled parents from Grech Law Firm!

Who Is Eligible To Receive Social Security Benefits?

There is certain criteria each child must meet in order to be eligible to receive benefits. Do you know whether or not you qualify? To receive Social Security benefits, the child must be unmarried as well as:

  • Under age 18; or
  • 18-19 years old and a full-time student (no higher than grade 12); or
  • 18 or older and have a disability that started before age 22.

In order to apply for benefits for your child, you will need your child’s birth certificate and both yours and your child’s Social Security numbers.

How Much Will My Child Receive?

The amount your child will receive depends upon the parent’s monthly benefit amount. Each child may receive up to one-half of the parent’s full monthly disability amount. There is a limit to the amount of money each family may receive. The family limit is typically 150-180 percent of the parent’s total benefits. If the disabled parent passes away, the child will still receive his or her benefits until they are no longer eligible (same as above eligibility).

Learn More About Benefits For Children Of Disabled Parents From Grech Law Firm

Worrying about how you’re going to take care of your child is something no parent should be forced with facing. At Grech Law Firm, we understand and we don’t get paid until you get the results you’re looking for. Our Social Security disability lawyers specialize in both SSI and SSD. From application to appeal, we are by your side every step of the way. Call (586) 580-9978 to get started or schedule a free consultation today to get the benefits your child deserves.